Tuesday 31 January 2017

MY TOP TIPS ON TURNING YOUR HOUSE INTO A HOME


I want my home to tell a story. I want it to be a symbol of happy memories made. I want it to be clean, minimal, organized and easy to look after, but most importantly I want it to reflect who lives here.

It can often be hard to make a house feel like a home for many reasons, maybe you're renting and aren't allowed to paint the walls or maybe you've bought your dream house but you can't afford to do it up yet. Whatever reason it is, I've put together a few quick and easy tips to make your house feel like a home.

M E M O R I E S
Surround yourself with memories, photos, ornaments, whatever it is that reminds you of a moment. Obviously, you can attach a memory to pretty much any item, so just think about your favorite moments and what will look best. I've picked my Paris Statue. For me, this reminds me of August 2015, a spontaneous trip me and my partner took to Paris, and where my life changed forever. Where my daughter was conceived. Every time I see it, I'm instantly reminded of this memory.


T E X T U R E S 
Play with textures and materials. Cushions, blankets, different patterns, and materials really help make a home feel cosy. Fur rugs, fluffy blankets, and some pretty cushions can all be super affordable but an amazing way to make your home feel a little prettier, cozier and homely. I picked up this throw and these cushions from b&m and when I dressed my bed, it instantly felt homely and fitted my style.


F R E S H   F L O W E R S
I love having fresh flowers in my home, it instantly brings life to a room. I'm lucky enough to have someone who works in a florist in the family, so fresh flowers for me doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. However I know fresh flowers are pricey so if they are out of your price range, fake it! Artificial flowers these days are beautiful, you can find really affordable flowers on amazon, eBay, The Range. Pretty much anywhere.



C A N D L E S
If you didn't already know, I love to have candles all over my house, I love the way they smell and the way they make me feel. If you are at uni and can't have candles why not try a diffuser? I have an electric one and I love putting essential oils in it throughout the day. I have Eucalyptus in it in the morning and this helps wake me up and prepare me for the day ahead and as the evening comes I will opt for a Lavender essential oil, this helps me relax and take down time. It Is little things like this that make me feel settled in my home.

What's important to you in your home? For me, I want a place where I love to be, where others feel comfortable and a place that's easy to maintain whilst feeling surrounded by all my favorite moments and memories.

What makes a house feel homely to you? Let me know in the comments below!


Share:

23 comments

  1. These are great tips! I cannot wait to leave my current apartment. So many things have been going wrong here and now I feel like no matter what I do it just doesn't feel comfortable and cozy. I can't wait to find a nice place to make all homely :)

    Renee | Life After Lux

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! yeah its hard to make somewhere a home when stuff keeps going wrong! xx

      Delete
  2. I love these tips so much, making a house a home is so important!

    Parie x
    Class and Glitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! I agree I love being at home when my home feels cosy! xx

      Delete
  3. Candle and fresh flowers are just to have around my house too, great post! xoxo

    www.love-joice.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh almost forgot to tell you...I just loooove the color combo :o) xoxo

      Delete
    2. They really make the house feel cosy and homely right? ahh thank you lovely! xx

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this post Stacey! Made me excited for getting my first home! xo Georgie -As You Wish UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Georgies! ah I'm so excited for you! I can only imagine how beautiful it will be! xx

      Delete
  6. I love this post! The photography is so beautiful ��

    I can't wait for me and my partner to have our own home that we can start to fill with memories and candles!!

    Laura || www.thelifeoflaura.com.au xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you lovely! haha it will be so lovely for you xx

      Delete
  7. I can't wait to buy bits for my new house, I'm renting but there's so much you can do that doesn't involve the shell. B&M have some amazing home bits in! xx

    Gemma Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Its so exciting isn't it! yes B&M always have such lovely and affordable bits xx

      Delete
  8. I loved this post! I'm currently in the process of trying to make our house a little more of a home so this was just what I needed.

    www.phillippabeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The little details are what turn a house into a home. Great post, love your photography!

    Vanessa x | www.springlilies.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! I couldn't agree more! xx

      Delete
  10. Amazing post, amazing pictures.. really helped!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love being at home. I have lots of candles and decorations that I change up every month or two. Your tips are so good especially the ones with the blankets, cushions and different materials. I also try to keep the flat as clean as I can:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do as well, I always try to make it as homely as possible. Yes I love keep it clean and tidy and fairly minimal whilst just surrounding myself with the things I really love and that make me really happy x

      Delete

© STACEY WHITE | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig